This page describes general Hero Lab features. To read more about the features for a specific game system, visit the
Mutants & Masterminds,
Call of Cthulhu,
World of Darkness,
Hero Lab Starter Edition,
Easy To Use
- Tab panels walk you through each facet of character creation - attributes, class and level, skills, merits, gear, personal information, journal entries, templates and special abilities.
- Descriptive text is included for virtually every attribute, skill, ability, etc., available via mouse-over or click.
- Summary panels provide real-time visibility of the changes you make to your character and their implications, from skills to combat adjustments to armor – all customizable based on what you want to see.
- Hero Lab's user interface adapts itself to the needs of your character. For example, spell selections are only shown if your character is a spellcaster, and selection of a Clan is only possible if you're a vampire.
- Save your hero, then print using one of many output options, including PDF. You can also generate statblocks in text, HTML, BBCode or Wikitext, or e-mail the hero to another Hero Lab user.
- Intuitive user interface prompts you through character creation by highlighting selections that should be made.
Information At Your Fingertips
- All relevant bonuses, penalties and modifiers are automatically calculated, saving you time and lots of page flipping.
- Spell lists and other game elements provide all the information you'll need during play, both printed and on-screen.
- Keep track of your character's adventures with the Journal tab. You can track XP, money you earn, and even a description of the adventure itself.
- Dashboard appears at the right-hand side of the main Hero Lab window when more than one hero is present. An entry is present for each hero, displaying their name and appropriate summary information; mousing over the info buttons provides further details.
- Track your character background and even attach multiple character portraits. Over 200 character images from a variety of genres are included with Hero Lab.
Powerful, Yet Flexible
- A full gear containment hierarchy allows you to track which items reside in which containers or directly on your hero. Moving and dropping equipment in a particular container is a single action.
- Validation engine verifies that your character satisfies all the rules, providing a detailed report of any errors encountered and highlighting the errors for quick and easy correction.
- We report all errors, but we don't enforce correctness. This allows you to ignore any errors reported, making it easy to accommodate house rules.
- Simple "adjustments" allow house rules and GM exceptions to be applied - add or subtract from attributes, skills and other traits to customize a character for YOUR campaign.
- Easily add custom content, from armor to classes to feats to races to spells – the content editor allows you to modify existing content or add your own from scratch.
- Authoring Kit allows you to create your own game systems, with pdf / wiki documentation and "skeleton" game system to get you started.
In-Play Support for Players and GMs
- In-Play tabs keeps track of limited use items, such as arrows, potions and charges, as well as in-game modifiers, such as spell effects and feats that modifier your hero's abilities.
- The Tactical Console allows GMs to manage encounters between players and NPCs. Out of combat, it allows you to see important skills, saving throws, and other aspects of each hero. GMs can also add NPCs and enemies to keep track of the party and their adversaries all at once.
- In combat, the Tactical Console shows you who has and hasn't acted, initiative scores, delayed and readied actions, and all the information you need at a glance - saving throws, armor class, weapon details, and more.
- GMs can use hundreds of stock heroes as "quick and dirty" NPCs within their games. Need a 7th level Gnoll Rogue teamed up with a Bugbear Barbarian? No problem!
- Fully customizable dice roller is included. Specify how many and what size dice, add/subtract from each die or total roll, roll dice and drop the lowest/highest, count successes against a set target number, and even adjust the threshold at which die results explode!
Free Demo Version
We offer a free demo version of Hero Lab, letting you test-drive the product for an unlimited amount of time - no registration required! Download the demo now, or check our our downloads page for more details.
Game Systems Supported: